Talkiatry transforms psychiatry with accessible, human, and responsible care. We’re a national mental health practice co-founded by a patient and a triple-board-certified psychiatrist to solve the problems both groups face in accessing and providing the highest quality treatment.
60% of adults in the U.S. with a diagnosable mental illness go untreated every year because care is inaccessible, while 45% of clinicians are out of network with insurers because reimbursement rates are low and paperwork is unduly burdensome. With innovative technology and a human-centered philosophy, we provide patients with the care they need—and allow psychiatrists to focus on why they got into medicine.
About the role:
We’re seeking an experienced Vice President of Human Resources to lead a team of HR Business Partners as we scale Talkiatry to be a best-in-class telehealth organization for clinical and corporate staff alike. Reporting to the Chief People Officer, this is a highly visible role where you’ll manage a client group plus oversee and mentor a team of distributed HRBPs ranging from Generalist to Director levels. You’ll coach and develop them as they drive retention strategies and navigate complex employee relations issues to resolution. Please note, this is a heavy employee relations position. The ideal leader will have demonstrated advanced capability managing complex employee relations and investigations, coaching executive leaders throughout the process, partnering with legal counsel to mitigate risk, and upskilling junior team members to do the same.
On the strategic side of HR, we’re at an exciting inflection point where we’ve built the people function basics and now want to drive improvement and sophistication to enhance the overall employee experience. You’ll assist the Chief People Officer with large-scale culture initiatives plus enjoy the autonomy to bring new ideas to the table that enable our clinical and corporate colleagues to perform at their best. This requires a data-driven, innovative, and thoughtful business partner who can work collaboratively with various cross functional People Team leaders to drive measurable results (i.e. L&D, Talent Acquisition, Clinician Engagement). Finally, you’ll help set human resources best practices and policies, aligning with Talkiatry’s vision and values, that will make us a sought-after career destination and “Great Places to Work” winner YoY.
This role is based in our NYC office at least 2-3 days per week for the purpose of in-person relationship-building and counseling with key stakeholders who work in person.
HR Business Partnership/Employee Relations:
- Provide leadership, guidance, coaching to the HR Business Partner team; Oversee strategic planning and tactical execution of human resource activities related to employee relations, corrective performance management, compensation planning, professional development, and ensuring people practices and business objective align.
- Establish credibility throughout the organization as an effective listener and problem solver with both leaders and staff; Advise and coach functional leaders in issues related to team management, organizational effectiveness, and overall individual performance.
- Provide trusted thought leadership in employee relations, ensuring a balanced approach is taken to resolving all HR issues. Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to the day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks, and ensuring regulatory compliance; Advise managers and employees on the interpretation of policies and procedures; Act as primary contact with labor counsel along with CPO.
- Lead our compensation and bonus planning cycles ensuring rigor, process, fairness, equity as it relates to the Pay Transparency Act; Assist the CPO is launching a talent management and assessment process to ensure fairness and equity in compensation/bonus planning.
People Strategy & Culture:
- Partner with functional leaders as they develop and execute both long- and short-term business plans and workflow changes, providing input beyond the HR strategy; Ensure the L&D team is brought up to speed early in the process about upcoming changes in an effort to ensure workforce effectiveness; Train and develop jr. HRBP staff to do the same with their client groups.
- Support the Chief People Officer creating innovative, creative people programs and through the lens of diversity, equity, and inclusion; Support the project management and change management needs around these company-wide talent initiatives. (Goal is to remain on “Great Places to Work” list YoY)
- Sponsor employee engagement and people program initiatives on behalf of the CPO to ensure high levels of employee satisfaction, retention, and productivity; Enlist People Team members to own the individual projects/programs/workstreams so they gain program leadership experience and hold them accountable for contributing to the continuous improvement of those programs (i.e., Rewards & Recognition program, DEI, performance management, talent mgmt., Community Teams Sites, and more)
- Proactively anticipate, analyze, and prioritize people data trends to identify root cause issues and solutions that promote positive improvements to turnover, retention, and engagement; Create priorities and process around that data to enhance metrics or outcomes.
- At least 15 years’ experience as an HR Generalist/HR Business Partner/Employee Relations expert in a mid-sized or large, multi-function HR organization.
- Demonstrated ability leading a distributed team.
- Strong HR technical/craft skills; in-depth knowledge of FMLA, EEOC, ADA employment laws as they relate to Employee Relations.
- Advanced degree in Human Resources Management, JD, or SHRM certification preferred.
- Prior Healthcare experience desired.
- Ability to be present in the NYC office 2-3 days per week or more as needed.
- Top-notch team: we're a diverse, experienced group motivated to make a difference in mental health care
- Collaborative environment: be part of building something from the ground up at a fast-paced startup
- Flexible location: work where you want to, either remotely across the U.S. or from our HQ in NYC
- Excellent benefits: medical, dental, vision, effective day 1 of employment, 401K with match, generous PTO plus paid holidays, paid parental leave, and more!
- Grow your career with us: hone your skills and build new ones with our Learning team as Talkiatry expands
- It all comes back to care: we’re a mental health company, and we put our team’s well-being first
- Compensation range for this position is $185,000 to $200,000, plus performance bonus, depending on experience; actual compensation will be dependent upon the specific role, location, as well as the individual’s qualifications, experience, skills and certifications.
At Talkiatry, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace and candidate experience. We strive to create an environment where everyone has a sense of belonging and purpose, and where we learn from the unique experiences of those around us.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.