Talkiatry’s mission is to transform psychiatry with accessible, human, and responsible care.
We’re a national mental health practice co-founded by a patient and a triple-board-certified psychiatrist to solve the problems both groups face in accessing and providing the highest quality treatment.
60% of adults in the U.S. with a diagnosable mental illness go untreated every year because care is inaccessible, while 45% of clinicians are out of network with insurers because reimbursement rates are low and paperwork is unduly burdensome. With innovative technology and a human-centered philosophy, we provide patients with the care they need—and allow psychiatrists to focus on why they got into medicine.
About the role:
As Director of Payer Relations and Contracting, you will support the growth of the organization by improving access to high quality psychiatric and behavioral health care. You achieve these objectives by assuring Talkiatry’s in-network payer strategy is fully realized in each market. You will be responsible for building productive relationships and managing expedient and efficient contracting processes with each payer. As part of the negotiating team, you will analyze fee schedules, project financial impact, and recommend negotiation strategies based upon your analysis to help Talkiatry achieve its goals. Applying your payer relations and contracting experience with keen attention to detail, you will ensure agreements are fair and create alignment between our insurance partners and Talkiatry. Once contracts are in place, you will be responsible for implementing and monitoring the performance of the contract, supporting adherence to its terms, and managing each contract through its lifecycle. This position reports to Talkiatry’s Chief Growth Officer.
- Take initiative in building strategic relationships with payers. You won’t rest until you get the right person on the phone to ensure that payers accept Talkiatry’s Doctors.
- Demonstrate subject matter expertise. You are immersed in the latest thinking, solutions and best practices relating to managed care contracting, value-based care and payers operating in Talkiatry’s markets.
- Expertly facilitate complex contract negotiations, collaborating with the Chief Growth Officer to hold Talkiatry and our insurance partners to timelines.
- Be highly analytical. You independently perform fee scheduled and reimbursement analysis to understand how to optimize revenue. You proactively make recommendations to leadership
- Manage expectations. You hold both parties accountable resulting in an efficient and expedient contracting process.
- Apply continuous improvement and systems thinking. You will champion or develop the systems and dashboards required to monitor contract performance and lifecycle.
- Demonstrate excellent follow-through, acting with a sense of urgency and regularly exceeding expectations. You update tracking tools and systems as needed.
- Operate with high integrity. You represent Talkiatry’s mission, vision, and values with infectious enthusiasm.
- Build effective, productive relationships with our payer partners to support effective contract implementation and continuous improvement
- Strong Negotiator – Excels at complex negotiations and is adept at achieving favorable outcomes while simultaneously nurturing stakeholder relationships.
- Takes initiative- Sees performance issues or opportunities and proactively takes action to improve revenue cycle operations
- Collaborative: Builds relationships with ease and works well with others to meet shared objectives
- Systems thinker- Easily breaks tasks down and develops workflows and builds reliable systems that improve efficiency, reliability, and performance
- Data-driven- Fully versed in relevant metrics. Develops dashboards and leverages reports to support daily operations and decision-making
- Flexible: You can hold your own in ambiguous situations; You easily shift gears from high-level strategy conversations to tactical work
- Resourceful: You have strong decision-making and problem-solving skills with excellent judgement and follow-up
- Excellent communicator: You’re savvy at letting stakeholders know what they need to do and when they need to do it. You write clear, concise, easy-to-read communications and can comfortably present to leaders at all levels
- Five (5) to eight (8) years of experience managing payer relationships and negotiating contracts, preferably in an outpatient healthcare practice setting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional relationship management skills. You know how to get the right person on the phone, and display a high level of organizational knowledge and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time and workload management skills, with the ability to prioritize and work independently with a high attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master of Healthcare Administration, Business Administration or Public Health degree preferred
- Top-notch team: we're a diverse, experienced group motivated to make a difference in mental health care
- Collaborative environment: be part of building something from the ground up at a fast-paced startup
- Flexible location: work where you want to, either remotely across the U.S. or from our HQ in NYC
- Excellent benefits: health insurance 100% covered on day one, 401k match with match, generous PTO plus paid holidays, paid parental leave, and more!
- Grow your career with us: hone your skills and build new ones with our Learning team as Talkiatry expands
- It all comes back to care: we’re a mental health company, and we put our team’s well-being first
- Compensation range for this position is $135 -160k + up to 15% performance bonus, depending on experience; actual compensation will be dependent upon the specific role, location, as well as the individual’s qualifications, experience, skills and certifications.
At Talkiatry, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace and candidate experience. We strive to create an environment where everyone has a sense of belonging and purpose, and where we learn from the unique experiences of those around us.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.